Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sam I am!

This video is about a 13 year old named Sam (Samantha) and how she uses technology in a day to day basis. She explains how she how much time she spends on the computer or cell phone. She enjoys helping and teaching others about digital media.





The most significant takeaway from this video is how much time the average teen is spending on the computer or cell phone these days. Sam, for instance spends (on a school day) about 2 hours on the computer, and on a non school day she spends roughly 12 hours on the computer or cell phone. To me, that seems like a lot of time to spend on the computer. Yes she needs to do homework, but I don't think she is spending time 0n the computer at home, on a non school day doing homework! She is spending time playing games and chatting with friends on facebook or myspace.
I know facebook is popular, and I even spend time on the computer, but not near 12 hours! That seems a little extreme to me. Before high school I can say that I didn't spend much time if any on the computer. Yes well, facebook wasn't not existing yet, but myspace was and many kids just weren't into computer catting. I think the reason for that is because cell phones were becoming more and more popular then.
Like I have said before, scaffolding is predominate factor in this video. Sam takes the opportunity to help and teach others her age, and even older. She exchanges information with others and even learns something new in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, that's a lot of time! PEW just released a new report on Teens, Cell Phones and Texting last week that shows these trends increasing even more.

    ReplyDelete